PSS started in 2008, with our Hope in Action youth conference. This successful event connected 14 local non-profits in the Eugene/Springfield area to 300 students from our local schools. Nine years later, this biannual conference continues to inspire and empower over 500 students per year.
- Keynotes (past and present): former Eugene Mayor Kitty Piercy, superintendents from the 4J and Bethel districts, student leaders, teachers, storytellers, and many others.
- Workshops educators (past and present): School Garden Project, BRING, Lane County Waste Management, City of Eugene, University of Oregon, EWEB, MECCA, and many, many others.
PSS became the Oregon Green Schools coordinator, for schools in the Lane County region, in 2009.
- We help schools with the OGS application process, and assist them in completing green projects.
- Schools in Lane County that certify at the Entry-level, or upgrade to the Merit or Premier levels of the program, become eligible for a $500 incentive grant from Lane County Waste Management Division.
|2009 to Present|
PSS developed two in-class educational programs:
- Cool School Challenge climate education (2010-2012). Working with the University of Oregon, PSS created standards-based climate lessons for 3rd through 8th graders. This curriculum was used for 2 years in many local schools.
- Green Partnership Schools (GPS) program (2013 to present); standards-based lessons on resource conservation, environmental science, making healthy choices, and a variety of other sustainability-related topics. Our GPS program is essential part of what we do today, educating over 1,500 students each year in 20 participating schools within Lane County.
Our Future - Oregon’s Youth Leadership Alliance for Sustainability and Social Justice
- In October of 2017, Our Future had its first meeting of students in the Lane County regional hub. There is currently 32 students in the hub, representing high schools from Eugene, Springfield and South Lane County.
- There have been many successful meeting so far, and regional hubs are being developed throughout the state.
- Our Future provides assistance with team development.
- Educational opportunities, available to teachers, providing standards-based lessons on leadership, the environment and social justice are currently being developed.