Brief overview of how our school, and its students, are addressing environmental, climate, racial justice and/or social justice work:
My school is trying to raise awareness and create learning opportunities around the social, economic, and environmental concerns in our region and state. We appreciate Our Future´s ability to provide us with connections across the state.
Club goals, priorities and interests (that are aligned with Our Future)
- Community action and civic engagement (e.g. marches/rallies, public speaking, letter writing campaigns).
- Being involved with legislative actions.
- Having student representatives on a “youth climate council” in our city and/or county.
- Becoming certified as an Oregon Green School.
- Enhance our waste reduction practices (e.g. composting, paper use, recycling, beverage containers, reusable utensils in the cafeteria).
- Training opportunities for Our Future leaders (e.g. leadership skills, fundraising, etc.).
- Training opportunities for other students at our school (e.g. climate science, how to get involved in environmental/social justice issues).
- Increase club membership (including recruiting Freshman/Sophomores into our club/team).
- Art projects that will raise the awareness of climate change, or the importance or sustainability/social justice.
- Supporting the Our Children’s Trust trial ( https://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/juliana-v-us ).
We are primarily project based so all the work we do is vital, and it is not a huge time commitment to be involved.
Main Student Contacts
Oregon Green Schools Corner
Stay tuned for Oregon Green School certification progress!