Brief history of how our school, and its students, have addressed environmental, climate, racial justice and/or social justice work
Recently, West Salem High School has been working to reframe its goals, mission, and core values. With this, the school is making a strong effort to hear the thoughts and opinions of its students, and the voices that speak for environmental, climate, racial justice and/or social justice work can be heard. In the past, the Environmental Club has worked to accomplish various goals like improving recycling, conducting waste and energy audits, cleaning up campus, and more. For the 2021-2022 school year, we hope to do projects that focus on conservation and ecological improvement, and to develop the Equitable Climate Action Plan for the school.
Club goals, priorities and interests (that are aligned with Our Future)
- Community action and civic engagement.
- Being involved with legislative actions.
- Having student representatives on a “youth climate council” in your city and/or county.
- Becoming certified as an Oregon Green School (or upgrading to the next level).
- Enhance your waste reduction practices (e.g. composting, paper use, recycling, beverage containers, reusable utensils in the cafeteria).
- Training opportunities for Our Future leaders (e.g. leadership skills, fundraising, etc.).
- Training opportunities for other students at your school (e.g. climate science, how to get involved in environmental/social justice issues).
- Increase club membership (including recruiting Freshman/Sophomores into your club/team).
- Art projects that will raise the awareness of climate change, or the importance or sustainability/social justice.
Main Student Contacts
To be updated soon!
(To reach the team, please use the contact form at the bottom of this page.)
Oregon Green Schools Corner
Stay tuned for Oregon Green Schools certification progress!